somewords

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Goodwill Goodness

I'm in the middle of putting together a small quilt for a friend who is expecting her first wee babe. In her nursery she is trying to incorporate vintage elements and her color pallette is neutrals with pops of color...so. I've gone back and forth and up and down on what this quilt is going to look like and after much deliberation I finally decided (but I'll wait to tell you more about it once it is done and the soon-to-be-mommy has opened her gift next weekend.)





 The important thing for now is that I needed vintage fabrics. (Lots of them! Sooooo many fabrics!! I need ALL THE FABRICS!!!) I have a small stash, but it's pretty hard to find vintage stuff that is vibrant, especially since my stash is limited to sheets and pillowcases. A few days ago I happened to be in the general vicinity of my favorite Goodwill for finding good vintage linens--it's in a prime location in the middle of an older neighborhood so when the local geezers kick the bucket or move into retirement communities their well cared-for linens go off to the local thrift store--so I stopped by and made out like a freakin bandit! An old sheet and pillowcase bandit...because I'm cool like that.

In addition to the sheets and pillowcases  I also snagged this little gold mirror for 3 bucks, and I found this gorgeous vintage blanket for $14.99 (which is pretty steep for me, but I have a thing for these old blankets...they just speak to me.)


So what about you? Any good thriftstore finds or quilts in the works?

1 comment: